Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Evaluation 1

My original idea of studying a Mindless Self Indulgence song came from the basis that their music is renowned for its crazy effects, abnormal story lines in the videos, and for the pace of the songs themselves. Particularly for the last point, this made choosing one of their tracks simple because I feel that "Shut Me Up" had a strong enough beat to edit to, as well as allowing me to have band performance whilst involving an iconic female figure in the video too.






My first ancillary uses the basic conventions of an advert for pop/rock/metal music song including block bold colours (majority bright on black or white on black), a major stand out picture, and headings that catch the eye. My picture could be classed as controversial however as there is a knife in the image; pictures such as these have caused controversy for celebrities in the past, but I felt that as the theme of the entire project was aimed at loss of mentality and general craziness that the image was appropriate.




The second ancillary used similar conventions with bold colours, eye catching images and Emma as a model for certain photos. The colour scheme remained near enough the same as my first ancillary and I also included a poster of the band members. I followed typical conventions involving one panel of the insert being a lyrics section, and a track list being on the back cover. I also followed the typical rock conventions in that many rock bands do not necessarily use the band as a cover image, particularly evident on the covers of Mindless Self Indulgence's own albums where they appear to characterize and use graphics more than actually photographic images to portray their album title and genre.
Mindless Self Indulgence own album covers - Evidence of preference to graphics as opposed to display of band.




The video itself follows many typical conventions involving cut editing and camera shots as i said previously, the beat of the song meant I was able to cut various effects (such as the black and white visual at the beginning) to the music itself. This effect is not necessarily conventional, nevertheless I felt it fitted well with the style of both the song itself and the way in which the rest of the video was edited. The breakdown towards the end of the track allowed me to experiment with short clips of both the female icon and shots of the woods in which the video was filmed, and whilst this may fit with the bands typical look of craziness and strange effects, elsewhere in the music industry this would not be typically used.

No comments:

Post a Comment